Thursday, April 21, 2011

Life is Like That! 1

Last month was very eventful but I am mentioning two small yet consequential incidents that we could all learn a lesson or two from.

Lady at Saras Baug :
The other day, I was strolling in Saras baug with “A”. After having a long tiring day at work, the best way to unwind is to go to a soothing quiet place and just jabber away about sweet nothings. But evening time is also hunger time. So, as usual I had a feast in the garden while “A” kept a strict commitment with his diet. I had pink cotton candy and juicy cucumbers. One cannot leave Saras Baug without eating Mataki Bhel…So we hunted for a lady who would offer us Mataki Bhel custom-made to suit my requirements (Without farsan or shev and only with natural ingredients). She handed over my special Bhel to me and took a 20 Rs. Note from us which is the usual price of one Bhel. As we were walking away from her stall, she called me back and honestly returned 5 Rs. Since there was no farsan or Shev she did not prefer to charge us for the whole amount. I was touched by her honesty. For the last 2 years I have always asked my Bhel in the same fashion from several vendors in Pune city. But she was the only one who felt the need to charge us for the value that she offered. The 5 Rs that she returned voluntarily would have meant a lot to her considering the fact that she made ends meet by selling Bhel. I was amazed that such honest people still existed in this world.

Man at the Club:
We were planning for yet another evening outing and we decided to camp at “A’s” favorite club in town. We had been planning to go there for several days but had to postpone due to some pressing work or the other. So “A” was happy and so was I that we had finally made it to the club. We were seated on one of the sofas in the porch and were observing people around us. I am not used to such places so I was keenly absorbing the ambience of the club. I spotted an old man with a bunch of ladies. The man who might be in his early 70’s was clicking his fingers cacophonously and loudly to call the waiter. I was alarmed at such harsh display of authority. Even “A” disapproved the old man’s capitalistic gestures of calling the person. Even the waiter looked embarrassed and humiliated. I hope someone does offer the old man a few good words of wisdom and etiquette…or perhaps a simple lesson in humanity….

2 comments:

Vikram Waman Karve said...

The Woman and the Man (the "koi hai" type) - maybe they'll make a nice couple!

सौरभ said...

:D